Tiny cherries have long gained popularity and love from the side of cooks, because red balls are not just an elegant decorative element. Small tomatoes - rich flavoring accent of the future dish, which can dramatically change the visual component of the dish. In the article we will consider the description and characteristics of one of them - the “Thumbelina” variety.
Representatives of the "Thumbelina" variety, which are easy to grow in the summer cottage, and in a small planting container on the balcony, will be a tasty addition to the hearty meal.
Description and characteristics of tomato Thumbelina
Variety bred by specialists for growing in greenhouse conditionsThis tomato subspecies also has an indeterminate structure. "Thumbelina" early ripe, high (up to 2 meters), the stem will delight gardeners with round fruits after 3 months after germination.
Neat fruits do not have large size, the mass of one fruit is equal to 17g, in one brush tied up to 13 pieces dense tomatoes.The average fruit weight is 17 grams
Exemplary characteristics of the taste component allow to exploit tiny tomatoes for home canning, use in their original raw form, culinary experiments.
The advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Among the advantages of the fabulous variety of the jewelry berries of cherry tomatoes are the following:
- Easy care, the grade needs regular watering and the minimum quantity of mineral fertilizers;
- self-pollination, the fruiting process will not stop the absence of pollinating insects;
- the small root system allowing to grow up a product in pots;
- disease resistance, rot;
- fruits ripen quickly, stalks bring harvest for 90-95 days.
In addition, contrasting fruits are deep red. ripen synchronously, which greatly simplifies the harvesting procedure. You can pick berries with a whole sprig, without wasting time on looking at the bushes in search of a ripe product.Harvest ripen synchronously, and it can be collected with brushes
The disadvantages of the subspecies are the need for a stable temperature, a sharp change in weather conditions is often critical. Little "Thumbelina" is also afraid of the cold, so the variety is well grown in greenhouse conditions.
Before a difficult sowing process, seeds are desirable. soak in warm water for 24 hours. A special growth stimulator can be added to the liquid, and the grains should be immersed for 3-4 minutes in the solution of potassium permanganate (the procedure is performed before soaking).
The soil for planting is prepared from humus, peat. Mineral fertilizer, a modest amount of charcoal is often added to the earth mixture. In order for tomato grains to ascend faster, it is better to shed the ground at room temperature with water before planting.Thumbelina Tomato Seeds
Seeds of seeds are planted shallowly in the ground, covered with a thin film, which is removed after the first shoots. It is important to have a sufficient amount of light, the plant is strictly prohibited to limit in the sun and heat.
Grade care after planting
Novice gardeners can familiarize themselves with the following list of simple rules that can speed up the process of climbing future fruits, significantly improve the quality of the product:
- Sprouts need thin outwhen the height reaches 6 cm.
- The roots of tomatoes require constant access to the air, for this land is desirable loosen regularly.
- To improve the quality of the crop, organic and mineral fertilizers are used.
- Lack of sunlight means taking advantage of extra backlight.
- It is desirable to collect the fruits when the color gets a rich brown shade, this will accelerate the arrival of the next crop.
Tomatoes also need to pasyonovat, tie up to a support, regularly water. In cloudy weather, watering is reduced, instead of generous use of the fluid on the stems, it is carried out with a wet brush, this helps to set fruit.
Among the complex dressings popular among summer residents, who have already managed to acquire a rather large arsenal of knowledge and experience, use:
- Kemira Universal-2 - contains humic substances, trace elements;
- Potassium monophosphate - possesses large reserves of phosphorus (53%), potassium (37%);
- Magnesium sulfate - has a composition of 15% sulfur and 18% magnesium;
- Mortar - it is distinguished by a balanced dosage of nitrogen, phosphorus, a bright bouquet of trace elements.
Desirable avoid fertilizing with nitrogen in the structure. We must not forget about regular foliar fertilizers. Small leaves and thin stems are preferably sprayed with special sprayers.
Diseases and their prevention
"Thumbelina" is an amazing variety, not suffering from deplorable attacks of cruel rot, but even this fabulous subspecies is faced with diseases, the consequences of which can be deplorable:
- Mosaic, which changes the color of the leaves, making them wrinkled and spotty;
- Late blight, affecting most of the plants, under the leaves is white bloom;
- The cracking of the fruit that occurs with excess liquid.
Methods for obtaining seeds
The procedure for extracting grains from the dense structure of a small tomato goes through several stages:
- Ripe tomato cut into two parts.
- Medical spatula meticulous clean the seeds.
- The obtained grain is closed in a plastic container for 2-4 days.
- During this time, the seeds ferment, they are washed, removing unsuitable grains during this process.
- The remaining components are filtered, squeezed in a thin gauze.
After grain washed with water room temperature dried on a sheet of paper.
"Thumbelina" - the definite favorite of not only the chefs! Interesting features of an unusual fruit allow you to create wonders of flavor combinations, brightly brightening the usual color range of dishes with new gastronomic details.
Summer residents also loved the fabulous variety for its unpretentious care, because you can achieve amazing results of a juicy harvest through regular watering and simple soil loosening procedures.